It never gets old…
This past Friday, I spoke at the Covington 5th and 6th-grade “Overnighter.”
This was the 33rd Overnighter.
I helped create the event when I was seven months sober…it was a dream of mine to prevent others from going down the addiction path.
The event is quite intense and mixes fun with informational workshops focused on helping young people understand the importance of making healthy life decisions while living their lives to their fullest.
I talk with the kids almost every year, and in my talk, I lay out my P.E.A.C.E. acronym.
P = Plan for your dream / E = Put forth positive Effort in order to execute plan / A = Attitude is everything. / C = Community = Teamwork makes the dreamwork. / E = Energy…the body is a temple that needs to be cared for. All of this must be grounded in truth, or else it’s worthless.
The following are several sayings (PEACEisms) I share with the kids each year and thought you would all like to read, reflect, and absorb.
- A dream remains a dream until you put it in writing; then, it becomes the beginning of a plan. You can’t execute a dream, but you can execute a plan. (JMeyer)
- We are the only animal God gives the ability to dream. He gave us that ability to make the world we live in a better place. Act on your dreams and change your world. (JMeyer)
- Nothing great happens without putting forth positive effort. (JMeyer)
- Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. (Vince Lombardi)
- No pain, no gain. (Unkown)
- Good, better, best, never let it rest until your good is your better and your better is your best. (Unkown)
- Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. (John Wooden)
- I’d rather be lucky than good. (Lefty Gomez)
- If you don’t think you can achieve something, you won’t achieve it. The opposite also holds. (JMeyer)
- A setback is a setup for a comeback. (Unknown)
- The way you think about yourself and talk to yourself will turn you into yourself. (JMeyer)
- Your attitude will determine your altitude in life. (Zig Ziglar)
- Nothing great in life happens by doing it alone. (JMeyer)
- You become the average of the five people you hang out with…that includes the authors of the books you read, people through social media, the news, etc… (Jim Rohn paraphrased by JMeyer)
- One is too small of a number to achieve greatness. (John Maxwell)
- Small minds and small people talk about things. Average minds and average people talk about other people. Great minds and great people talk about dreams, goals, ideas, concepts, and ways to make the world a better place. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
- Behind every great person is a great mentor and/or coach. (JMeyer)
- You can have the greatest plan in the world and couple it with being the hardest worker with the strongest attitude in the world while seeking support from excellent mentors or coaches…BUT…if you don’t take care of your body, you will not have the energy you need to achieve your dream. (JMeyer)
- Eat right, sleep right, exercise right, and put the right stuff in your mind, and you will have the right energy needed to achieve your dream. If you don’t know what “right” is, I am certain you know what wrong is. Therefore eat, sleep, exercise, and put good stuff in your mind more right than wrong. (JMeyer)
- Nothing good in life EVER happens as a result of ingesting illicit drugs or the overconsumption of alcohol…NOTHING. (JMeyer)
- Everything good in life can disappear in one second due to ingesting illicit drugs or the overconsumption of alcohol…EVERYTHING. (JMeyer)
- If you have to lie, cheat, steal, or manipulate your way to achieving your dream, your dream is a hoax. (JMeyer)
- Always be true to yourself. (Unknown)
I hope one or two of these hit home with you.
2 Timothy 2:15, “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.”