Today marks the beginning of the second half of 2020.
I’ve been writing this blog since 2008 and this is the first time I’ve been compelled to suggest that you take some time to create a plan for the second half of the year.
I am certain I will not live long enough to ever experience another six months like the first six of 2020.
In my roles as a Coach (executive and life), most of my professional time is invested in assisting organizations and individuals with their strategic plans.
Leading a business or a life strategically means leading and living with the intent to grow.
I’ve yet to have a business or an individual come to me and say, “Jay I want you to work with me because I am just fine the way I am and I’d like you to help me stay that way.”
That type of mentality would fall under “Death Coaching,” not Life Coaching. 🙂
Anyway, through this blog I serve as a “coach” to about four thousand people and I am excited to share with you the fact that it is time to move on from the old normal.
We’ve learned how to live with COVID-19, it is now time to grow with COVID-19.
I chuckle when people say, “don’t call this time we are living in the new normal.”
Fine, call it the “not old normal (NON),” if that will make you feel better, but I don’t see social distancing, good handwashing, plastic shields at check-out counters, and the use of face masks going away anytime soon.
Bottom line…how do we continue to not just survive, but thrive in these exciting NON-times?
Below are a few exercises that may give you a boost.
- What do I need to do differently in order to continue to grow in the NON-times?
- Stop-Start-Stay… What daily habits and routines do I need to stop doing? What daily habits and routines do I need to start doing? What daily habits and routines will stay? Please note – we become our daily habits and routines.
- What have I learned about myself over the first half of 2020? What parts of me do I need to let go? What parts of me need to grow?
- What is my “go-to” when faced with fear and uncertainty? Is it healthy?
- Have I and/or my organization progressed or digressed during this period in time? Why or why not?
- Have my personal or professional priorities changed due to COVID-19?
- What is a key priority I need to focus on personally that will propel me into making 2020 another great year?
- What is a key priority I need to focus on professionally that will propel me into making 2020 another great year?
- What new restraints/challenges caused by COVID-19 is causing me to change the way I approach my priorities each day?
- What can I do to not allow the restraints/challenges to stunt my growth or my organization’s growth?
Rejuvenate through execution:
- Commit to spending thirty minutes a week, preferably on Sunday, to organizing your week around your key professional and personal priorities–for example:
- This week I will complete the following tasks related to my professional priorities…
- This week I will complete the following tasks related to my personal priorities…
- Make sure your weekly plan includes margin for when factors out of your control jump onto your schedule. Over-scheduling is a great way to feel as though you aren’t moving forward.
The above is simply the tip of the iceberg for moving you and/or your organization forward after this most interesting time in our history.
The goal of this blog was to assist you in pulling your head up out of the sand so you can begin moving forward in this exciting new NON-time.
In order to have the best chance at effectively reflecting, refocusing, and rejuvenating throughout the last half of 2020, I strongly suggest you double down on your time spent with your Higher Power.
- Reflect with Him daily.
- Refocus with Him daily.
- Rejuvenate with Him daily.
Philippians 4:13, “I can do all this (such as living in the NON-time) through Him who gives me strength. (NLT)
Make 2020 your best year ever!